Awakened Team

Click on the name to see what he/she's working on. (WIP blog)

Founders: 3D modelers:
Writers: Programmers:
  • Coen46 (No Link)
  • Mutt
  • CaptainRed
2D Artists: Sound Designer: Composer:
  • KiritoOmega97 (No Link)
Latest topics
» !!Migrating forum!! & Update - July 2015
by Tarazha Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:00 am

» SAO Suggestions
by Dante Emrys Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:10 am

» Introduce yourself here! :)
by DivineHope21 Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:22 am

» Owex's Creations
by DivineHope21 Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:04 am

» Noah Baker's Freelance Application/Specs
by Glavus Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:39 am

Item Durability System Proposal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Item Durability System Proposal

Post by ChandlerF on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:47 pm

(These thoughts are still a little bit in the making)
I had some good ideas (and also a little complicated) on how durability on items/weapons could work. The first part is a little simpler. Each item will have durability and a strain limit.

Durability: Durability is basically an items health. For example a sword may have 15,000 units of durability. Clashing with another sword or shield would decrease it by 1. Yea, that sword would last for a long time but repairing it would be really costly. I think players should be spending about 50-85% of their money on repairing their armor and weapons (the higher that is, the longer it will take for players to advance. This is a good way to control how long it takes for players to complete a floor.) Shields and armor would work identically.

Strain: Strain is not something many weapons would go through. An example of strain being used in SAO is when Kirito breaks his sword on Heathcliff's shield. Each weapon would be given a limit. For example, (this is made up) the Elucidator has a strain of 20,000. Weapons would give off 1/4 (could easily be an adjustable concept) of their strain limit. So if he hits another sword with a limit of 5,000 strain or lower, it will break (or you could give it a % chance to break.) Just an item hitting the ground could cause 50 strain (I do realize that is a weirder concept inside a computer video game.) So if you decide to toss items like bread and it only has a limit of 50, then it will hit the ground, then blow up into particles.

Its a really messy concept, but a good one to be worked off of.

ChandlerF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Item Durability System Proposal

Post by Lubbies on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:23 pm

The durability idea is pretty standard and quite frankly isn't that bad. However I don't think your 'strain' idea will work very well.

I don't see why anyone's weapons break because of some immeasurable statistic that may or may not ruin your day. Not to mention this would make fighting higher level players almost impossible. I would just plainly suggest that when the item's durability depletes the weapon will shatter or maybe the damage decreases. This incentivises the constant upkeep of player's weapons.

Another feature that would be cool would be a honing buff that can be added to an item to increase its damage for a certain amount of time. The higher one's blacksmith level/whetstone, the better the buff. This would help the economy allowing for real constant flow of customers for smiths.

Let me know what you think.

Lubbies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChandlerF on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Now the strain idea could be bad for newer players, I completely understand why that idea could be a bad one. I was basing my idea off if there were a 10,000 player limit. So it wouldn't necessarily have "newer" players, just ones who have over powered weapons. I don't think that's unfair, the idea of having a weapon with a strain limit, but a strategy one could use. I completely see where you are coming from though on how it could be an idea that wouldn't work out.

I do really like the idea of that buff though. If it weren't something too extreme, it'd be better though. Like if the damage buff was a very small one. Now this could completely be taken away with the idea that better blacksmiths get better ore, and therefore make better weapons overall. So it could be a completely wiped out concept. I do like the idea though.

ChandlerF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nickster701 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:46 pm

overall really good thoughts strain may be super if'y but i think your durability concept is good

nickster701

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChandlerF on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks! I realize the strain concept is if'y, it's just different. Sometimes people see different and think its bad. I say you can't knock it till you try it.

You could also not make it something thats very common either. Like make all swords really close in strain so it'd just be a freak thing (like Kirito and Heathcliff). Or make it to where (like my example before) if the sword with 20,000 strain limit hits one with a 5,000 strain limit, it will have a .1% chance to break it. Still making it easily possible yet almost impossible.

ChandlerF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChandlerF on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am

Now strain would work different with shields. If a sword makes a shield hit its strain limit, you will be open for a hit. Your strain on your shield can build up slowly, so after so many hits, you will be open for a hit.

http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/19/28/36/83/screen10.jpg
In this duel, (with my system) Heathcliff had his strain limit built up, and it didn't have time to cool down, so he was open for an attack.

ChandlerF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lubbies on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:44 am

I'm sure there will be an anti-perma block mechanic in place but I think it should work along the lines of your idea.

The reason I think the weapon breaking is weird and unbalanced is that it is completely RNG. How would you feel if you are winning a fight and then bam your weapon breaks and there's nothing you can do about it. You lose.

Lubbies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChandlerF on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:36 pm

I understand what you are saying, but you have to take into account that you are not going to run into almost anyone else with a sword's strain high enough to break yours. Just like in the anime, it'd be a freak thing that happens.

ChandlerF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taigakun on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:08 pm

really nice idea Wink

taigakun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChandlerF on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks