Awakened Team

Click on the name to see what he/she's working on. (WIP blog)

Founders: 3D modelers:
Writers: Programmers:
  • Coen46 (No Link)
  • Mutt
  • CaptainRed
2D Artists: Sound Designer: Composer:
  • KiritoOmega97 (No Link)
Latest topics
» !!Migrating forum!! & Update - July 2015
by Tarazha Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:00 am

» SAO Suggestions
by Dante Emrys Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:10 am

» Introduce yourself here! :)
by DivineHope21 Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:22 am

» Owex's Creations
by DivineHope21 Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:04 am

» Noah Baker's Freelance Application/Specs
by Glavus Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:39 am

combat style?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

combat style?

Post by MikeAllen on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:03 am

hey, i really want to know what kind of combat style is planned for this?
-will it be like elder scrolls online where right and left click control your right and left hand?
-ability base - you just click on your targer and spam abilities? (please no lol)
-combination of the two above (could be really cool if done right) = look up gunz 2 gameplay

Or do you guys have something else planned?

if you are part of the team please let me know what is planned and if anyone else has any ideas what they could do this could be a good chance to start a conversation over that.

MikeAllen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: combat style?

Post by Joeybbb on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:40 pm

There are a couple things in mind, but nothing is official. Just for some testing purposes right now (you can actually view it in older updates) there are normal attacks and blocking with the mouse, however we plan to have a more complex system in the future. Additionally, there will be a combo and ability system to complement this. Personally, I think the 'mana' limit will be relatively low or the usage very high so that people don't spam the abilities like you said; it would take away from the fun and strategy of the fight.

Follow me on Twitter @JoeyQuinto Smile

"Squashing bugs like bad habits!" -Me

Fast cars and shooting stars

Joeybbb
Admin

View user profile http://joeyq-games.site50.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PCMonster on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Gunz 2 Style would be best in my opinion. Being a die hard Gunz fan based firmly on the intense sword combat gameplay!

PCMonster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeAllen on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Well I've build character controllers using unity and eclipe many times but mostly for people making FPS games. I have a great combat system in mind but for me to be able to make a really advanced character controller that could Handel it would take some time and research. Plus I would need to partner with someone who could do the rigging and animations because I'm good at making models of weapons, armour, maps, etc. But rigging and animations is still a bit hard for me.

My combat system idea: (just the basics)
-Left and right click control your left and right hand attacks. (Good for shield bash and duel wielding)
-Left and right click + shift enables you to block with the corisponding hand. (Makes a more advanced 1v1 sword fighting.)
Ex: someone swings on you with the right hand you need to right click + shift to block from the right and if you do it wrong you will put your sword/ shield up on the wrong side and still get hit.
-blocking a blunt weapon (axe) with a sword could still inflict sat 30-50% damage.
-Could also add a dash move similar to guns that uses mana/ fatigue for player's with high speed or agility level to implement times like when kirito quickly dashes forward for an attack.
-Add abilities that are very hard to block but give them a high mana/ fatigue cost so they can not be spammed like in most other mom games.

Something like that is just a base idea I could take and run with but it will take me more time to come up with and perfect.
Non the less you want it to be balanced but because it is SAO in which we all love or we wouldn't be on this site; it needs to be unique, entertaining, and some what compare to the show/ manga.

Please let me know what you guys think about this, I'm open to ideas, and should I keep going on this idea & start trying to implement it soon.

MikeAllen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joeybbb on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:13 pm

These are all very good ideas and very well may be implemented, but keep in mind that this isn't a local game and is an MMO. Systems like this one take lots of time to get working right on the servers and clients and getting it to communicate smoothly without bugs is also very important when handling a huge amount of players. In fact if you notice in my very early 2013 videos there are tons of features including monster AI, combat, chests, etc just for testing and showcase that all have to be torn down and redone server side.

Follow me on Twitter @JoeyQuinto Smile

"Squashing bugs like bad habits!" -Me

Fast cars and shooting stars

Joeybbb
Admin

View user profile http://joeyq-games.site50.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeAllen on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Yea I know. Even if I made the control and had help to get animations done. Then I'd have to do mesh constant coding and everything and it would take lots of testing to prevent bugs and everything.
but.. a huge project just may need to be done to help this game expand and be unique and stick out from the other thousands of mmo games people have to play.

Last edited by MikeAllen on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

MikeAllen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeAllen on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Btw I will put in a application to be part of the team for this project here in the next couple days. I don't have my desktop with my models and stuff anymore. But because y'all are wanting pictures of our work applications I will be spending the next couple days working on some New sao related models to show in my app.

MikeAllen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Owex on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Something I can tell is that we aim to give the player a lot of control on his combat style. The combat is based on the skill of the player more than the stats of his character.

Mike wrote:you just click on your targer and spam abilities
No worries, that is definitively out of question! ^^

Mike wrote:Times like when kirito quickly dashes forward for an attack.
I'd really like our game to have that kind of special moves we see in the anime, I'm also thinking of season 2 when Kirito jumps everywhere to avoid bullets.

If you need help for anything, contact me by PM.

Owex
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PCMonster on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:27 pm

Yes, the difficulty in this will not be the attack style, but instead how to defend against that style. Example being you can see the attack coming, read your available options, and be able to come up with a counter or dodge. I feel that is where a lot of games lack user control.

PCMonster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeAllen on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:13 pm

@Monster. That's why I'm thinking a separate left hand and right hand block. Also black dash parry like in gunz since you can't block a hammer with a sword

MikeAllen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeAllen on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:29 pm

@Owed if you ever played gunz or gunz 2 you'd see similar to what I'm thinking. You can drudge bullets and stuff with the dash but it doesn't look like the picture you posted

MikeAllen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EragonYin on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:26 am

If I can get all the stuff for a theoretical NerveGear helmet, could you all set up the server side to accomodate such large electromagnetic neural interfaces that will link to the combat style, all the skills associated, and the movement?

EragonYin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:25 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top